Mac and Cheese Cups
These are great for lunch at home or in school
Can be eaten warm or cold
- 180g dried macaroni
- 6 bacon medallions, finely chopped
- 25g butter
- 20g plain flour
- 130ml milk
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 150g grated cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan and grease a 12- hole muffin tray.
2. Cook the macaroni following packet directions, put into a large bowl when cooked and leave to cool.
3. In a non-stick frying pan, over a medium-high heat cook the bacon until it starts to get brown and then remove from the pan.
4. Melt the butter in the frying pan and over medium high heat add the flour and cook, stirring, until bubbling and the flour turns golden.
5. Gradually stir in the milk until the mixture is smooth and just starting to simmer. Remove from the heat.
6. Add to the macaroni together with the bacon, onion, and 1 cup of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
7. Divide the mixture into the tray and press to compact.
8. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and firm to touch.
10. Leave in the tray for 5 minutes and then remove to cool onto wire cooling rack.