Pork and apple sausage rolls
These are fun to make and are an ideal picnic lunch at home or in school
Vegetarian option uses a meat substitute
1 tsp olive oil
½ finely chopped onion
½ grated carrot
1 grated small apple
250g extra lean pork mince or 250g of vegetarian mince
375g ready rolled puff pastry
1 medium egg
Optional :1 teaspoon each of poppy seeds and sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 200 fan /180 /gas mark 6.
2. Heat the oil and add the onion to cook until soft.
3. Add the carrot and apple and put into a bowl to mix in with the pork or the meat substitute.
4. Unroll the ready-made pastry and cut lengthways.
5. Divide the mixture between the two lengths of pastry and put in the middle.
6. Brush the edges of each length with the beaten egg and fold over and seal.
7. Flip the roll so the seal is on the underside.
8. Add the poppy and sesame seeds to each roll.
9. Cut each rolled strip into 8 rolls.
10. Place the rolls on a baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes until they are crisp and the pork is cooked through.