The aims of the National Curriculum for Physical Education ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for a sustained period of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives
Funding for Primary School PE and Sports
The government is committed to ensuring that children and young people have access to at least 60 minutes of sport and physical activity per day. It recommends 30 minutes of this is delivered during the school day (in line with the Chief Medical Officers guidelines which recommend an average of at least 60 minutes per day across the week).
The PE and sport premium is intended to help primary schools to achieve this commitment, providing primary schools with £320 million of government funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of the PE, physical activity and sport. The funding has been allocated to primary school head teachers and has been ‘ring fenced’. This means it can only be spent specifically on PE and sport in schools.
All pupils should leave primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools.
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
Please read the information below which gives details of our PE and Sport Premium Grant and how we allocate the funding.